Monday, November 14, 2016

Learning Outcome 8

Learning Outcome 8: Demonstrate the ability to make informed decisions regarding the use of technology in support of learning and leadership

Activity: Twitter

Each year teachers on my campus are assigned to different committees.  I have always been a part of our technology committee.  Part of my responsibility on that committee was hosting staff developments where I shared technology based ideas and encouraged staff members to utilize the new idea.  We would later come back and reflect on what worked well for the different grade levels. 

I loved having the opportunity to share learning experiences with our school staff.  Part of leadership is understanding what your gifts are.  One year, another principal asked if one of her teaching teams could come watch my team.  We were thrilled for them to spend a day with us.  At the end of the day we met with that team and their administrator to answer their questions.  One of the questioned they asked was, “How do you all work so well together?”  This was an easy question to answer.  We told them that we knew each person had a gift.  

Mrs. A was a singer and knew every song ever written that we could sing with our children.  She also was a book lover. We called her the book whisperer.  If you wanted to teach something, she would tell you which book to use.  Mrs. S was always twenty steps ahead and kept us organized.  She knew exactly what was coming up and made sure we didn’t forget anything.  I was the technology guru and creative mind when it came to creating activities to supplement our curriculum and Mrs. H was our math guru.  We all work together because we knew our strengths and weaknesses. We did well because we could count on each other to fill in the gaps.

A good leader and instructor is the same way.  They are transparent to the fact that they are not perfect but they also have a great deal to bring to the table.  This is how I view my contributions to my school when it comes to technology and creating engaging resources.  This is what I could bring to the table and I should because I am more than able and I enjoy it.  I feel like it is my responsibility to help others where I do not struggle.

For my activity, I gave a presentation on why I felt the staff should use twitter.  Our district was already using the platform regularly and wanted us to increase engagement so I tried to sell them on this form of technology that I had been using for some time. Here are the slides I used for my lessons:









                                After my presentations and recaps with teachers, I had several teachers use this technology to follow other educators, communicate to parents and our district, participate in global activities and learn through various chats.  Granted there will always be people who are not willing to try new things but I at least have to try and show them what they are missing if they choose to sit out. There is a great big world out there and technology places it at our fingertips. 

There are so many learning opportunities if we lay fear aside and embrace the change that in inevitable.  By taking a leadership role and helping other teachers grow, I am fulfilled because I have been able to share my love for teaching with technology with others.  My heart as a teacher is to inspire and grow people. This is one way I can plant a seed of change.  It fills my cup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment